Skip to main content

beginnings and endings

.
(Readers consider yourselves forewarned...the following contains scriptural references.)

Appreciating God's artistry and creativity and honoring Him is meaningful to me as an artist because I know that I enjoy being appreciated and honored for the things I create.

I think it is amazing that The Source of all creativity has designed our day to begin and end in exactly the same way -- with spectacular beauty. (Represented in the above photo of today's sunrise in Denver, less spectacularly than I wish I were able to.) I find that encouraging somehow.

I've always loved sunrises and sunsets and I've never ceased to be awestruck by their intensely colorful beauty and God's endless variety in their presentation. I'll have to admit, I've seen more of the sunset variety but nevertheless, they are equally beautiful to me. For me it means the day begins and ends with hope and with promise. In the morning we are greeted with the splendor and warmth of the sun and light and then, as though God knew that we needed the sunset as reassurance of the return of light after darkness, in the evening the day closes in the same way. The Light separated from Darkness by Beauty.

"There was evening and morning, the first day." (Genesis 1) I also find it interesting that God's way of measuring the day is different from ours. He starts with the evening and we start with the morning. When I look at it His way, it means that each day begins with rest rather than ending that way and I find that encouraging as well.

Comments

How profoundly put. Why is it that this is so hard to hang on to when we need it most; this promise, this hope, this beauty?
In our darkest moments, it's as though it never existed as we let darkness become our reality for that moment in time. However, without that darkenss, could we really appreciate the beauty of that light?
Nicole said…
Hey Mom,

I love that you tool pics from our house, they are really good pics! I am glad to hear that Father used that time while you were up here to show you his presence and peace!

I love you!

Popular posts from this blog

what a mess!

Cloth Paper Scissors is publishing a special issue about studios . It will hit the news stands early in October. There's a lovely photo on the cover of some artist's very nicely appointed, clean, well kept art space. It will also have, " 85 ways to find, sort and store your stash " and " 11 best organizing tips from an expert " and " BIG solutions for small spaces ". I need to read all of these articles, I'm sure and I'm really looking forward to getting a copy so I can be inspired and encouraged by all those organized artists. Or possibly not. Usually, I just feel depressed when I see the large, clean, orderly work spaces that other artists work in. Anyway, just knowing this special issue was coming out has made me think about what condition my art condition is in. Here's mine... Sorta pathetic. Actually, I try to be organized. I really make an attempt at being organized but I don't love to organize or the discipline that it takes

the grand duke of hop canyon

. Two o’clock this morning I was awake and afraid to go out of my bedroom because of not knowing whether my dog, Duke, would still be breathing or not. Jimmy was sleeping on the couch in the living room to be near him, just in case. He’s been in and out of the dog hospital the past couple weeks while they tried to figure out what was going on with him and they decided on Monday that a cancerous tumor on his spleen was causing his declining health. Actually, he was in pretty serious condition when he went back to the vet’s office this past Saturday. I’ve been grieving since then and I guess I’m weary of the pain. The pain of grief is odd – it seems to rise to the surface and be multiplied by each loss that is experienced. I think partly because it is simply a reminder of other losses but also each loss has some regrets associated with it and each loss permanently removes a blessing and a joy of some kind from our lives that we must learn to do without. And then once you’ve experienced

before and after

. My husband is convinced I'm nuts but for some reason he still supports me in almost every crazy thing I involve myself in. It is far more than, "sure sweetie, go ahead." His support comes with a friendly, amused, helpful attitude most of the time and he gets in there and ends up working harder than me if that's what is required. Amazing. (Although, he has put his foot down about ever getting involved in the food service industry again and he did make me quit loading glass on the trailer before I'd gotten all the free glass the Freecycle folks were offering.) Above on the left you can see my latest insanity and there's about three times as much under the tarp. That's glass, just in case it is unidentifiable. On the right is the first thing I've made from it -- wind chimes (just in case they also cannot be identified). My friend Yvonne is ball-of-fire, production-mode artist. She can crank out more great art faster than anyone I know. And just about an