Sunday, May 25, 2008

crazy eights

.
This was already posted a while back on the 8 x 8 x 8 blog but I thought I ought to put it over here as well. It was intended as more of an experiment instead of a final version but since I haven't made much progress yet, it's probably going to end up in the final eight. It's a poly-litho print on an acrylic painted panel. This one is all about the eights.

For those of you not familiar with the project check out the 8 x 8 x 8 blog.

one for the 8x8

.

.I've decided this one looks a lot more like a decorative tile than real art but it was fun experimenting with the dimensional acrylic in the vines and then trying to figure out how to get the image on there. This is actually the second one I've done. On the first one I used the gel medium image transfer technique and was not quite happy with the depth of color on the pomegranate and tried to fix it by applying a second transfer on top of the first one. I should know better. My fixes are more often disasters than successes.

Anyway, the image on this one was printed onto tissue paper and then basically decoupaged onto the panel with acrylic gel medium. I made a carrier sheet using card stock sprayed with 3m adhesive spray (that I blotted to remove some of the stickiness) and then stuck on and trimmed the tissue paper to 8.5"x11" before printing on my Epson C88+ that uses durabrite inks.
Tuesday, May 13, 2008

published!

.

A free copy of the new summer 2008 Somerset Studio Gallery arrived in the mail today. It feels a bit weird to see it finally in print but there it is. Not sure why they decided to only show the red hair from the beaded fairy that was attached to the house but it really doesn't matter. Maybe it didn't photograph well. I included a website in the short bio at the end of the article but I've never found the time to do anything with it. I wish there were time for all the art and blogging and websites I would like to be doing right now but at the moment, life (as my friend Leau often says) "is what it is."