Skip to main content

nothing new

.

Ok. So I'm blogging. I still say who cares? I really wonder. I also wonder what I have to say that hasn't already been said. Somewhere. By someone else. Before I even thought to say it. There's nothing new under the sun as someone before me has so wisely said.

For instance take the above example. I had tumbled the antique purple Glass Graveyard find (aka dump glass) in my brand new rock tumbler overnight with water and sand to simulate a frosted sea glass look. Today I (being afraid even of miniature power tools) took my brand new $10 off, cordless, bargain Dremel tool and actually, successfully drilled a hole in the glass. (First try!) Jump rings were then inserted successfully into the hole by this non-jewelry maker. I printed the image of the flowers on the glass by a printmaking technique called polyester plate lithography and then embossed the image in silver, inserted the ribbon and ta-dah . . . a necklace.

I thought maybe no one else had ever thought to do this but before I got very far in my personal glory-basking moment I thought maybe I should take a look online just to make sure so I didn't falsely claim originality when I told folks that I thought it up. Anyway, someone over at B-muse will be saying 'been there, done that' if they ever stumble onto my blog.

Comments

Raine K said…
Hi Laurie!
Waving at you from ABQ! You're right there is nothing new under the sun - but - this necklace is fabulous! And you came up with it yourself - so take full credit please!
R
Yay! Welcome to blogsphere! It's a great way to keep track of each other and to share our thoughts in a format that doesn't happen via email, etc.
I love the necklace! I don't think you can call yourself a non-jewelry maker anymore since you've made something!
Yay, Raine for getting Laurie inspired!
Raine K said…
WooHoo! And great necklace.
Regina said…
Glad to read you in the blogosphere, Laurie! And don't be too hard on yourself - love the necklace! Keep em coming...
Laurie! Congratulations to Blogland! I love your necklace! I've been tumbling dump glass for years, I wire wrapped mine but this looks so much easier and quicker! Marva
lori_gregg said…
Laurie!! Wow I LOVE LOVE LOVE that necklace!!! Will you make me one someday, PLEASE? :) :) For my birthday maybe :) Love you!! (Very gorgeous photo of you by the way!)
Anonymous said…
I love the necklace!
Chicken? I'm going out to the coop right now and take another look, I must have missed something.
Blogging!? was made for you sister!
I love you.
Lynn

Popular posts from this blog

Leona Mae Killoy. 3-25-1914 to 4-29-2009

. I feel so sad and relieved all at the same time but Gramma passed away this week on Wednesday. I didn't know it was possible to feel both emotions to this extent, all at the same time. What a fighter she was. CHF, diabetes, heart valve issues etc., and 95 years of age but man, such a fierce little thing. She actually had a fever of over 108 degrees before she finally gave it up the other day...it was crazy. Her nurse said he had never seen anything like it. She was always so fussy about her appearance and grooming she would've hated the way her hair looked that day. She was also very, very picky about her personal comfort. We were always fluffing pillows and changing her sleeping (beds, bedding, etc.) and resting (chairs, couches, recliners, etc.) accoutrements because it seemed her opinions about such things changed weekly. Her food preferences changed frequently also and she preferred a varied menu up until the last week or so. Except for a few standbys. If nothing else sou...

more little books

. Jimmy (my cutie husband) told me Sunday (after the book-making ladies left) that he wished he had joined us Sunday in making little books. He had to take today off of work to take care of some business stuff and so this afternoon he had me show him how to make little books. His is the one on the left with the spider and the one on the right is one I did for my granddaughter, Haevyn, who saw the ones we did Sunday and said, "I want a little book too Llama." She has a new, pinkish-red Betta fish so that's why the Betta on the cover of the pink one. Didn't Jimmy do a great job on his? He was so meticulous about the way he went about putting it together, even adding a 'half-hitch' knot when he was tying the signatures of the pages together so they'd stay together better!